Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Buffet and impulse control, these are words that simply do not go together. Nevertheless, I valiantly stride toward the buffet scanning down my mental list of limitations. “I will eat the salad first.” “I will not load it up with fatty dressing.” A buffet affords me plenty of healthy choices. “I will say no to mashed potatoes.” “I will say no to fried chicken (give me a break, I’m a preacher).” Healthy is the goal. Images of green beans, cabbage, celery sticks, cascade through my mind but never seem to reach my hands holding my plate and the serving ladle. My mind says no, but my mouth says, go baby go! I cry out, like the Apostle Paul in Romans 7, “oh what a wretched man am I…” On the way to the buffet, no never seems to mean no.

In theology the creation narrative is vitally important. It shows God’s design for mankind. It shows His deep love for us, hand-making humanity in His own image. And it communicates a deep truth that is lost in this buffet style of Christianity that is prevalent today; when God says no, He means no. I know that God’s grace is sufficient for us (2 Cor. 12:9). I know that God loves us with an everlasting love (Jer. 31:3). I know He is faithful and just to forgive our sins (1 John 1:9). Notwithstanding any of those truths, God still expects us to obey Him. When He says no, He means it. God extended an immense buffet of foods for Adam and Eve to eat. His only limitation was that one tree was off-limits. Sadly, they went to their buffet, listened to Satan as he weakened their resolve, and gave in to the weakness of buffet life. And mankind has been paying the consequences of that choice throughout human history.

So, let’s step away from the buffet. It may not be popular or appealing to discipline ourselves but it is vital to our spiritual growth. “No” must be initiated into our vocabulary. Samuel summed it up best when he said, “… Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams. (2 Sam. 15:22)

I guess I won’t be going to Phil’s for lunch today.

3 comments:

  1. Bro. Wes, I like this. You are right on here!! I'm enjoying your blog. Continue to Pray for Casey, much improved!!!! God is SOOOOOO!!! Good. He continues to answer prayer!! Thanks for all you do. Coach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Bro. Wes. I'm really enjoying your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lesson of "NO" is one we need to learn as parents, too. Just this week I saw a woman give in to a loved one and give him the money he was begging for. Two days later he was busted for contraband. This scenerio has played out in their lives over and over and over again.

    It is hard to say "no," and it is hard to hear "no," and it is especially hard to obey "no," but it is imperative to learn "no" if we ever hope to be blessed with that sweet communion of the Holy Spirit.

    Addiction to anything...everything...begins and ends with the inability to learn "no." Thank you for helping us focus on this simple yet profound truth.

    With love, support, and encouragement,

    Judy Carpenter

    ReplyDelete